The turnout was fantastic and far exceeded our expectations, we counted aboug 64 people, about 90% of whom were drawing (havent yet worked out the official door count, still recovering from too much adrenaline!). We had worried about a poor turnout since all the students are back home this time of year but our fears were soon buried.
The mix of people was lovely and we were so impressed by the level of artistry, Nottingham TRULY is a creative city, you only have to look at the incredible work produced to see that. We were blown away and I'm fairly sure I never want to draw again having seen the competition!! ;o). Mysti was proudly showing off the pictures she collected to all the staff at Yo Sushi after the show and Diva said this was the best Sketchy she had done. Rikki from 'The Shop" who is one of our resident professional artists was blown away by the talent in the room (and the artwork too).
Thank you to everyone who came up to us and said thanks at the end, it was so nice to meet so many new people. It was lovely to see old faces too and to have support from so many fellow event promotors from around the Midlands. BIIIG thanks to everyone who filled in the feedback forms, it's great to see your comments and to have so many smiling faces and positive things said.
We've taken on board your comments and next time there will be -
- MORE CAKES! Since Susie from Dotty's Cafe had no idea what cake bellys you all had and ran out. One comment I heard was 'Dottys banana cake is the best thing i have ever eaten EVER' or something along those lines!
- Wet Wipes for your messy charcoal fingers, you mucky bunch!
- Bins for pencil sharpenings and a collection of rubbish during the interval (for cake plates etc).
- Less of me standing infront of people like a moron so you cant see the stage, sorry in particular to Jake who was sat behind me, I'm fairly sure all his drawings must be of the back of my big fat head.
- Some more varied poses & times - we will be discussing lying down poses and short standing poses with the performers for Oct 3rd. The times will also be more varied with some 1 or 2 min poses at the 'warm up' stage and possibly another longer pose later on.
- More Dr When! He will be back - not next time as Ryvita Von Cheese will be our lovely Yorkshire compere, but he will be back in December for definite! We can't get enough of him. So much so that he's driving all the way back from Birmingham to see us again today.....actually he left an important bag in my living room last night, woops.
- Some fun, tongue in cheek workshop style instruction from me and Rikki. This is something we've been discussing for a while and someone mentioned it on their feedback form. We're going to get our heads together and see what might work, we may run a short workshop session at the beginning for anyone who wants some tips and tricks, though evidently none of you need any instruction on how to draw since you're all so flippin' amazing!
- We've also had requests for more male models, musical acts and drag acts, we're way ahead of you! There will be two men to draw next time, Ryan Cross (as Sweeny Todd) and Desmond O Connor, amazing ukulele playing dirty lyrical genius! Balanced out nicely with a good dose of buxom female beauties with Ryvita Von Cheese and Emerald Ace (since a certain person who shall remain unnamed feedback form simply read "More Ladies More Ladies More Ladies - See above")... we wouldnt want to disappoint! We've been discussing a Drag Queen & King Sketchy for a while so plans are underway for a special event next year.
Thats just leaves me to say a BIIIG thank you to Scarlett for her co-organisation skills, Molly Crabapple of course for allowing us to run the Dr Sketchy Nottingham, cant wait to tell her how well it went! All our performers, we had such fun with you all (Nottingham shoe shops will never be the same!) our sponsors, Emma and Spike for being such awesome photographers, Susi from Eternal Spirits, Debbie Bryan, Rikki from The Shop, Dottys Cafe & Danse Macabre for promoting & supporting the event and donating luverly prizes. Our helpers Maid Matthew, Betty Jane, My Mum & Dad, Dave, Tony and DJ Johnny Speedking! Tom Winch at Escucha for being totally awesome and letting Dr Sketchy have a home there, we had so many lovely comments about the venue, AND Kyle and the barstaff team who were lovely, completely cool and helpful and didn't mind having lots of half naked ladies getting changed in their swanky members only bar in the basement 'Minus One'.
We really hope you'll all come again to the next event, future dates running up til June are up on the website, Tickets are available in advance to ALL events. Please tell your friends! If you want to give further feedback, request music for our playlist, models/performers etc just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, all suggestions are welcome.
WE CAN'T WAIT TIL THE NEXT ONE!!
See you soon!